BlogBe abreast with the industry insights, news, technologies and trends. Make a difference
to your business leveraging on the knowledge shared by experts.
A customer comes with complex software challenges, and it needs quick ways to convert them into opportunities. A value-driven software product should solve a problem or should accelerate productivity. Good software comes with an agile code that empowers business to drive their sales either directly or indirectly. Here are top features that every great software project depicts.
Well-programmed software transforms the way a business works
- The program should do what it was coded for in the first place.
- Software should be able to score high in different non-functional areas, such as scalability and reliability.
- The technical debt of a code should be minimized.
When it is about code quality, software developers and every leading web development company interpret and perceive differently. These perceptions and interpretations, however, never define code quality in any measurable term. Now, here is everything about what is code quality and how can we measure this thing.
Excellent code quality builds a legacy of software excellence
For any software development company, code quality’s importance supersedes everything else. Code quality can be thought of as an indicator that shows how quickly and easily a developer can bring business value to any company’s existing software system. Now, the next burning question will be how to measure a code’s quality. Here is how any business’s software development team can gauge the way a code is performing for a business.
Analyze code quality to measure and improve performance
Code quality has to be measured in the form of density. Abstract numbers, in this case, will not help. That is why, if a software program has 400 bugs, then this figure alone cannot convey the severity of the issue.
However, if the density of these potential bugs is discussed, then a company will lay hands on a clear picture. Every leading web development company and software development team relies on a bunch of tools that test a code’s quality in real time and even sends snapshots of errors to clients. Here are the top three deadly sins that make a code unreliable and untrustworthy.
Code quality: bad practices
Introducing potential bugs and bugs in the code
This is the first, and the most evident, way of displaying that what all is wrong with a code. If the code is having different bugs, then it is a no-brainer that it needs a complete overhaul.
Breaching coding standards
Every reliable web development team will have a set of coding standards. Coders of a specific project have to follow all those standards. If ignored, the code’s full ability will never be explored and unlocked.
This practice may not seem like a very big deal for many coders out there–but if duplication persists in the long run, the entire software package’s overall ability will be destroyed. Logics of a program should be authentic.
Unit tests are critical
Unit tests are very necessary to keep all the regressions and bugs from slipping into the production level. These tests will let developers know that did the modified code break any other sections of the program.
Whenever a code has a nerve-bending architecture, the code follows a spaghetti design. This design is the bane of many coders, clients, and software engineers.
A powerful code that builds efficient web applications
- Use a number of IDEs having all the important plug-ins to monitor a code’s quality. Some of the finest plug-ins to analyze a code’s quality allow in performing sophisticated debugging practices. Developers may even use a sophisticated IDE— Puppet and Chef—to develop quality codes consistently.
- Install code quality plug-ins that will work while creating automated build scripts. These plug-ins are executed as part of the automated build only. Apart from reporting, these code-improving tools should break all the builds if quality metrics dips below the defined threshold.
- Leverage only those code quality plug-ins that perform while entering codes to a rigorous Continuous Integration environment. This step enables the build to be broken every time the quality threshold is broken. Also, a notification—for example, an email—can be sent to all the relevant stakeholders whenever the build is broken.
Measuring code quality and maintaining it are two different aspects of software development. By focusing on these two aspects, any business can develop a scalable, reliable, robust software program that streamlines works and improves productivity. If a business is somehow unsure about how to measure, develop, and manage code quality, then it is advisable to trust industry experts and leading webmasters who can develop clean code that boosts performance.
49 responses•17 Dec 2009Why SEO has assumed such a splendid significance
20 responses•02 Jun 2010Website Design as it should be seen and done
10 responses•17 Dec 2009E- Commerce services to escalate your business growth
10 responses•22 Feb 2010Reap the benefits of Outsourcing your ITES work to India